The Gandhi family rules, literally!
As a resident of good old Hyderabad, I've become used to the slow paced life this city offers. Things happen at their own pace - no thanks to the jammed roads, and to the 'babu' attitude. But I'd come to accept these as a part of my daily life and so, life went on.
And then comes the Congress plenary held in the outskirts of Hyderabad. For all the good it did, looks like the city is under siege… eh, sorry? You asked why? Let me count the ways!
- Over 17,000 police officers and policemen have been deployed at vantage points armed with automatic weapons and metal detectors to ward of any possible threat from naxalites Every main road has a policeman (who ogles every passing gal in a bus/two-wheler/four-wheeler) and they actually are a pain if you are the person at the wheel! These guys stand right in the middle of an intersection too! Ah, over-zealous officers, what?
- Thanks to VIPs, VVIPs, PM, CMs, Mrs Sonia Gandhi and her brood, the city has been virtually turned into a fortress. And each of these elected members of the Government need cavalcades consisting of 6 cars each. I counted :) 5 times – I happen to stay close to the ‘spinal’ cord of Hyderabad, SP road. I really wish the Gandhi family got over their high threat perception.
- Road blocks that stopped people who lived in vicinity of the venue… I’ve been told that some were turned back or asked to take a diversion to reach their destination.
- I am tired of all the posters and banners of Sonia Gandhi, PM Dr. Singh, CM Rajshekhar Reddy and the most-incorrigible of all - Rahul Gandhi; posters and banners extol his virtues (!!) and achievements (??). And then we caught glimpses of Priyanka and hubby Vadra in tow.. am glad there weren’t posters extolling them too!
- With concerted effort spanning three-months and over 12,000 delegates attending from all over the country, I wonder how much of my money – ah, all the tax I reluctantly cough up – is being ‘wasted’ on this.
The only consolation I have is reflected in a statement I read in the papers – atleast the road-widening drive was done sooner than would have been otherwise! Ah… ever the one to look for the silver lining, eh? :)

1 Comments:
great hieghts to democracy. hey.. i am a pro congress guy.. heiehiehe.. when i need to chose between BJP ,congress , lefties and other,,.,.. i would chose congress
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home